Architecture Style: Northern European style
Construction Year: 1936
Add: 30, South Shanxi Road
Moller Villa is a private garden villa built by the Allied Architects Shanghai in 1927, a famous architecture design institution of that time, and its owner the British Jew Moller came to Shanghai in 1919, and as a Taipan of Shanghai Race Club, he soon became rich for betting on horses. The construction lasted nine years, and was accomplished in 1936. The three-layer main structure in Scandinavian Norwegian Style just looked like a fairy castle. To avoid war, he left Shanghai in 1941, only to leave the irremovable fantasy castle. Moller Villa has gone through the discord times, and been frequently sold. Then in 1949, it became the work place of Communist Youth League Shanghai Municipal Party Committee. In 1989, it was listed in the first batch of Shanghai Modern Heritage Architectures and Municipality Protected Historic Site.
Ho Tung's Mansion
Architecture Style: The Renaissance Classicism
Construction Year: 1928
Add: No. 457, North Shanxi Road
The residence of British businessman Sir Ho Tung
The south elevation of the main building is made of Ionic order porches, which are styled as connected two layers with four slots. The scape is slender; the chapiter is engraved with delicate and soft scrolls; the foot is complex cambered lines, consistency with the above carvings. The second intercolumniation is an arc-shaped balcony with iron handrails. The flat roof, the surrounded parapet and arc-shaped balcony are all engraved with ancient marks. Three vertical sections; return walls in both sides; Jack arch stone and arch window. Below the dark cornice lies a piece of architrave decoration. The elevation is rough wall formed by cement mortar. The east gate of the building is the main entrance, with two huge brackets supporting the hall.
The garden is Chinese style. Water is flowing beneath a little bridge; several ancient woods standing between hill stones are very attractive. One old vine is nearly 100 years old, going through rough times but still vigorous and powerful; another two are a-century-old cinnamons, growing tall and straight, flourishing and blooming, which has added more charm to this ancient well-known garden. After 1949, Ho Tung family all moved back to Hong Kong. And the residence was taken over by Shanghai Real Estate Department.
Architecture Style: Spanish
Construction Year: 1932—1934
Add: No. 173, North Shanxi Road
A lot of celebrities in literature and art circle were once lived here, such as the writer and dramatist Li Jianwu, film actor Kingsun, Zhang Ruifang and her husband.
It is a Spanish-castle style square building, square turrets in four corners. The top of it is polyhedral pinnacle; the entrance hall is a rain-cover. Lintels of windows and doors are all in Spanish style. The outer wall and ceiling are covered with glass bricks, to absorb the natural lights. Rooms in the apartment are mostly in suites, like two-room, three-room and four-room suites. Toilet wall and equipments are all made of exquisite tiles.
Rong's Old House (former residence of Rong Zongjing)
Architecture Style: Eclecticism
Construction Year: 1918
Add: 186, North Shanxi Road
Rong's Old House, a standalone western-style house with three layers and a garden, is the former residence of Rong Zongjing family. It is about 6.26mu; covered area is about 2182 square meters; garden area is 2475 square meters. The eclecticism house is in reinforced concrete structure, and designed by Chen Chunjiang. The whole architectural elevation is divided by horizontal lines, whose style is French Classicism. At the bottom, there are capacious porches and Ionian aisle columns. The western styles are widely used in construction technology, building structure and residential equipment, while Chinese traditional convention and appetite is outstandingly kept in plane layout, inside and outside decoration and garden greening.
For the reproduction of offspring and the development of family business, the old house has been empty for quite a long year. After Shanghai's liberation, Rong Xiaofan, the commissioned house agent of Rong's family, rent it to Chinese Economic Research Institution. Now, it is a Culture Relic Protection Site of Jing'an and Heritage Architecture.
Song's Old House
Architecture Style: British Country Villa
Construction Year: 1908
Add: No. 369, North Shanxi Road
The architecture is structured with wood and brisk; the whole space is flexible, while the architectural form is free. Even span and hip roof are flexibly assembled and well arranged. The east part is arch inner chamber, using valve to open it; the west is an extended huge sitting room. There is a small room on the left of the second floor, while the bedroom is facing the stairs. Two bedrooms towards the south are both built with big balconies.
The famous Song's family has been called the first family of China, and has an undoubtedly important position in modern and contemporary Chinese history. It is not only the place for Song's brothers and sisters gathering with their mum, but also a significant venue for social. Soong Ching-ling has lived here for nearly ten years before getting married. After the liberation of Shanghai, Soong Ching-ling established China Welfare Institute Nursery here. Then, it became the temporary office for the China Welfare Institute.
Ohel Rachel Synagogue
Architecture Style: Neo-classicism
Construction Year: 1920
Add: No. 500, North Shanxi Road
Ohel Rachel Synagogue is Jewish church. The brick-concrete structure building covers 609 square meters. The elevation is divided into three sections. The main entrance is a pair of ionic columns and a pair of square pilasters. Within the stoep there are three arch doors. Interior space is apex of arch; two sides are double-deck colonnades; intercolumnar small vaults and auditorium ones are vertical and intersectant in a Greek Temple Style. Synagogue hall is the Temple of God; the semiellipse hathpace in the center is built by white marble, and it is where Jews do the worship. The upper end of the back wall of Temple of God is divided into cubicles. The top of the Hall is like a dome with five arc-shaped beams to support the ceiling. There are five windows as a group. The dome of the church in the second floor is made of white marble. On the third floor there is a peaceful room, which used to be the living room for clergy.
Ningpo (Si Ming) Village
Architecture Style: New Shikumen Lanes
Construction Year: 1928 –1932
Add: 913, Middle Yan'an Road
Ningpo Village was name after Ningpo Bank, and used to be the dorms for bank staff and cultural celebrities, such as Hsu Chih-mo, Lu Xiaoman and film actress Hu Die. The famous Indian writer Tagore was once live here on March 29th, 1929.
Ningpo Village has been invested and built respectively in 1912 and 1928. And the designer is Huang Yuanji from Kaitai Architecture Firm, and the construction has been completely accomplished in 1932. It covers the area of 1.9 hectare and about 29150 square meters. Along the Ju Lu Road towards the south lane, there is a single-family house with the number 118, which used to be the private villa for the president of Ningpo Bank.
There are 118 brick-wood-structured conjoined buildings in Ningpo Village (in western architecture, they're called terraced houses, or nowadays, they look like town houses) and all these buildings are new Shikumen lanes. Each building has a dark-colored door with copper ring, and the red brick wall is dry pointed. In the front of the living room on first floor lies a courtyard, and behind in is a kitchen; the front part of upstairs are bedrooms and modern toilets. The penthouses used to be three floors; the bottom was the kitchen and above there were two garrets, and above which is a flat roof for drying. “Our house is a double-bay, so the first and second floor are designed with wing-rooms both in the front and back, as well as the garrets. The width of alley is about 5 or 6 meters, and the secondary lane is about 4 or 5 meters, so it's convenient for cars to turn around. Nearly half houses are equipped with garages.” As is saying, Ningpo Village has already reflected its prototype of western civilization life fifty or sixty years ago.
Hsu Chih-mo's Residence
Add: No. 913 Siming Village, Middle Yan'an Road (the original loctaion is removed, and a sign is marked at the entrance of the lane)
The former residence is a modern three-floor lanes and alley, Shikumen structure in ancient Shanghai Bund style. On March 29th, 1929, Tagore was once lived here when coming to Shanghai. In the middle of the downstair, there is the living room. The bridal room is in front of the wing-room upstairs. The back room is Lu's smoking area. The third floor is Hsu's study room. Their most well-known book Letters to Dear May (Ai Mei Xiao Zha), Xiaoman's Dirary (Xiaoman Ri Ji) and etc..
Liu Jisheng's Residence (Venus Garden)
Architecture Style: Classicism Revival
Construction Year: 1931
Add: No. 675—681, Ju Lu Road
This building is a gift from Liu Jisheng for his wife in her 40 years birthday. It is designed by Hudec in Jan. 1927 and constructed in 1931, with the covering area of 1606 square meters and building area of 1666 square meters. The fake four-floor building is in brick-concrete structure and constructed by Fu Ji Building Company. This villa imitates European Classical Greek Architectures, magnificent and extraordinary. For it is built according to the story of Cupid and Psyche, it is also called Venus Garden. The house elevation is symmetrical; one centre room and two wing-rooms; the south elevation is the entrance, with notch Ionic porch. Arc-balcony is between the columns on the south of the second floor, with iron-decorated handrails, light and graceful. Walls are almost built with simple bricks, except the porch; part of the walls upstairs are decorated with whiting. The space under eaves is designed with tooth-form decorations, and the window decorations are in multiple style. Interior decoration is extravagant with giant columns, arc-stairs, colorful hall glasses, large-scale crystal lamps and etc.. The supporting facility is well-equipped, like boiler room and central heating systems. In front of the house is a fountain, in axle wire of the Garden. At the center of the fountain stands a Psyche's statue, which was invested by Hudec for express appreciation for the design opportunity.
Jing Hua New Village
Architecture Style: New-style Lanes
Construction Year: 1938
Add: No. 820, Ju Lu Road
In 1937, land agent Zhou Xiangyun lined out the south part of his garden to make a house. Its name “Jing Hua” was originated from the garden's magnificent scenery. It was constructed by Brandt Rogers Architecture Design Company in1938. There are 69 composite-structure buildings with three layers and a gate house, covering 0.8 hectare and with an overall floorage of 15682 square meters. The south beside New Village is Ju Lu Road, where north is Yan'an Hotel. There are other residences and villas in the east and west of Jing Hua. On the memorial archway of the entrance, there are four Chinese characters “Jing Hua Xin Cun”, which is said to be handwritings of the Chinese painting master Zhu Qizhan(1892--1996), who moved into the village in 1959 and has created many great works here.
Architecture Style: Traditional Chinese
Construction Year: 1899
Add: West Nanjing Road
In year of 1899, Silas Hardoon bought 300 mu lands range from Jing'an Temple (West Nanjing Road today) to Chang Bang (West Yan'an Road today), and one luxury garden has been built in five years, with overall Chinese style and part of Western style. It was named Ai Li Yuan or Hardoon Garden. There used to be full of hillstones and pools, boats and pavilions, exotic flowers and rare herbs. 26 scenic spots are about 20 hectares, and collectively looked like a wonderland. Apart from the pavilions and boats, there was also a CangSheng MingZhi College (admiring the saints and becoming smart). Scholars, like Wang Guowei, Kang Youwei and Luo Zhenyu, were all invited here to have lectures. Also, Sun Yat-sen was lived here for a short time; Cai E was recuperating; Zhang Taiyan has hold a wedding here; many influential figures in the times of the Republic of China have visited here, such as Cai Yuanpei, Zhang Shizhao, Xu Beihong and etc.. After liberation in 1949, the Russian Sino-Soviet Friendship Building was built based on the remains of Hardoon Garden. Now, it is Shanghai Exhibition Center.
Mansion of Guo Le and Guo Shun
Architecture Style: French Renaissance
Construction Year: 1926
Add: No. 1400, 1418, West Nanjing Road
Two symmetrical villas in West Nanjing Road are NO. 1400 and No. 1418. They used to be the residence of Guo Le and Guo Shun, the founders of Shanghao Wingon Group. Now it is the work place of Foreign Affairs Office of Shanghai Municipality People‘s Government, Shanghai People's Association of Friendship with Foreign Countries and Hong Kong & Macau Affairs Office of the Shanghai Municipality People ‘s Government.
The mansions were built in 1926 by Tao Guiji Construction Factory, covering the area of 4383 square meters, building area of 3214 square meters and green land area of 2500 square meters. The main building are two residences in composite structure with gardens, five bays；the three-layer buildings, facing towards the south, are in French style of European Renaissance Period. Two buildings are almost the same. The elevation of the building is symmetrical; the middle is layered with colonnades; the ground is Tuscan order; second floor is Ionic; third floor is Corinthian. Detailed decorations, like Balcony, window, cornice, and angle, are quite meticulous.